Thursday, April 17, 2008

Eight Windows

Oh, The Joys posted eleven windows to her soul.

I'd started my own list a month ago, inspired by Mighty Girl's List of 100 scenes she hoped she'd see as her life flashed before her eyes. But I hadn't quite reached 100 and it's been getting dusty in my drafts.

Not seven, not eleven, not one hundred, here are eight windows to my soul.

1. Watching the thunderstorms roll through the sky from our Miami Beach balcony one hot August night.

2. Choosing her first pink dress, minutes after we learned she was a girl.

3. Seeing his face as I walked down the aisle.

4. My hand against the worn stones on the wall in Jerusalem, seeing all the messages people had tucked in its crevices, knowing I wished for nothing, that all I had was all I would ever need.

5. Finding my name on the paper taped to the leadership office window of officers appointed to student government positions.

6. Walking around the gardens of the LACMA knowing I had to tell him that I loved him that day.

7. The view of the lights along the Champs-Elysees from the top of the Arc de Triomphe, (a place I'd seen only in old videos from high school French class and from a poster on the back of my bedroom door) after insisting we climb all the way up, in the rain, at night, because when was the next time we would be in Paris?

8. Alone with my newborn boy in the dimly lit hospital room, stretching out his tiny fingers against mine as I told him the stories of our family so he would know who he would be meeting and how very loved he already was.

What do you see?

If you join in on the prompt, add the links below to the bottom of your post. I'll add your link to my list, too.

jen with seven windows of my soul
Jessica with Eleven Windows
Tracy from Tiny Mantras
Defiant Muse from Musings...
LSM at Somewhere In the Suburbs

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful entry and what a thought-provoking, inspirational prompt. I have NO IDEA what would flash before my eyes... but I'm going to think about it.


Ari (Baking and Books)

Oh, The Joys said...

That last one brought tears to my eyes!

Amanda said...

I have stalked your blog a few times. I think you are a fabulous writer and this post especially touched me. I'm not making any promises because I don't usually swim in the deep end of the pool, (if you know what I mean) but this was really inspiring so I think I will give it a shot. Thanks for sharing these moments.

jakelliesmom said...

Amanda - no need to stalk, make yourself at home here. Thanks for saying hello, and just write your list - it's YOUR list.

Sass E-mum said...

I'm usually stay in shallow end too, but this is a great post and it makes me think about the moments that matter most to me. Thank you.

LSM said...

I linked over from one of the posts in this series. You chose some wonderful moments. I've linked this post to my list of participants, and I'm looking forward to visiting here more often.

Ann(ie) said...

awwww. This is too cool!!!!!

Amanda said...

Mine's done. Thank you for the inspiration.

Of course now that it's done there have been dozens more that I have thought of. Maybe I'll do a part two.

Don Mills Diva said...

This entry brought tears to my eyes - just lovely, thanks.

Oh, The Joys said...

Okay. I tagged you.

LaskiGal said...

*gulp*

still hormonal . . .

What a wonderful idea . . . lovely choices.

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.