Monday, April 02, 2007

The bad day that wasn't.

Monday morning came again, and I was sure I was in for trouble. Jake is off school, so that means more fighting with his sister, more dawdling when we're trying to get out of the house and more boredom of a 4 1/2 year old kid who would rather do most things than run errands. Add to that finishing up the house preparations for the holiday, an appointment to take pictures (at the mall with the carousel and puppies no less), and an afternoon baking for tonight's seder.

Ellie woke up screaming again. I took her to the potty and convinced her to go back to bed. I looked at the clock, desperate for her to sleep until a decent hour - except it already was. It was past six. Six is so much better than 5 o' anything. I'd had a good eight hours last night.

Not bad. Not bad at all. But still, there was so much to do.

I finished the last of my cleaning and looked again at the clock. It was after nine. Our picture appointment was at 10. No way I'd be able to take a shower and get the kids dressed and ready to go. I called them both, and to my surprise, they arrived promptly. Ellie didn't argue over my choice of a dress for her and even agreed to have her hair made pretty. Jake dressed himself.

We were early.

This never happens.

I found my coupons for the photo place. I parked as closely as I could, steering the children away from the carousel and pet store with reminders that if they behaved for the photographer that we'd visit both. But that picture place. Oh, we've not had luck there lately. Two visits ago, I dragged a screaming Ellie from the store and ended up at the doctor's office with her first elbow dislocation (totally common in toddlers, but nonetheless scary and awful for the harried mom.) After the last time, I swore I'd never go back, but there is a new store at our fancy new mall and I figured I'd give it a try.

We were in and out in an hour, adorable pictures in hand.

I bet you already know, but this never happens, either.

We found a lunch spot in the fancy new mall's food court, conveniently located to a family restroom, because wouldn't you know it, both kids needed to use it at the same time, and the family restroom comfortably and conveniently accommodates my little group. Then the kids ate. Their whole lunch. And we rode the carousel and saw the puppies. And had a quick trip to Target (where I looked at the purse I've been coveting and decided I didn't really want the one they had, giving me time to decide if I really need it).

Tempting the fates, I figured we'd take a trip to Costco.

Both kids, in the cart, in and out of the store in half an hour, under $30. Top that.

Returning home, Jake and I baked our cakes while Ellie played quietly. As I type, the children are playing nicely together, not fighting, yelling or demanding to be set free.

The cakes are cooling, waiting for their frost, and I will have time to exercise paint my toes, shower, finish desserts and will leave the house on time. Heck, the car's almost packed already.

I generally hope for the best, but expect the worst. I describe myself as an optimist, which my husband added "yeah, at 3,000 feet." It's true. I want to see the best in everything, but it's easier done from a distance. Close up leaves too much room for error. I expected today to be a struggle, but it wasn't.

What does that say about me?

Am I an optimist or a realist?

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

You're a realist. And I would KILL to have a day like you just had.

Auntie B said...

How awesome!!

yerdoingitwrong said...

I'm thinking you're my hero!!!!